Following on from our ‘Spoil the Grandparents’ gift guide we asked one Granny what would you like for Christmas? After so many celebrations what is left to buy them or really what is always a guaranteed crowd pleaser. So apart from providing a new grandchild here are the next best things…
- Extremely extravagant hand cream, the kind you would never dream of buying except as present for someone else!
- Something in Cashmere – gloves, socks or a scarf, so luxurious next to the skin and the sock are lovely in bed!
- A voucher for a pedicure in a beauty salon. This is a most wonderful thing. A manicure is good too, or a facial or a massage…real pampering for your Granny.
- Tickets for a play/musical/concert whatever genre you think your Granny would like with a companion who will double up as driver! This is a marvellous present.
- If you know your Granny taste well a good book is another option as is her favourite perfume in a body lotion or bath foam so that she can ‘layer’ the fragrance.
- Steer clear of ultra practical presents – even if she need saucepans or something similar now is not the time unless it has been very well discussed.
- An Orchid. They are everywhere now and bloom for months and months.
- Some Grannies have Kindles so you could arrange some downloads but be careful, not all Grannies are the same!!
- If all else fails flowers, chocolates and something bubbly are always very well received – not so much the boxed afternoon tea for one set with biscuits though…
- A subscription to a good magazine, there’s Saga, the Spectator for the serious, and Private Eye for the more irreverent. Other good ones are Good Housekeeping, Essentials, Woman and Home. Don’t forget a Country Child subscription too!
- Most Grannies though, especially lone Grannies, would just want to be included at Christmas time with their families. For all of us I’m sure it’s the best present of all – to be part of the love and laughter.
Happy Christmas to all Grannies, Grandpas and their families!!