With half term coming up there are so many activities on offer to you and your children over half term – whether you are looking for activities to help out while you are at work or whether you are looking for activities to do as a family – here are just a few of the gems we have found!
1)The Pottery Parlour in Blandford have two, two hour clay days over half term. Adults and children can expect to learn how to properly throw pots on the wheel from expert potters, create imaginative masterpieces at the big clay table using tile cutters, tools and stamps and then paint their creations using their rainbow of paint colours. Pottery Parlour’s master potters will be on hand to help guide parents and children through the entire session. Aprons are provided and pottery will be ready to collect or sent out (for a small fee) between 3-5 weeks later. The sessions are on Tuesday and Thursday starting at 10:30am or 2:30pm. Booking is essential by calling 01258 455232.
2) Shaftesbury Snowdrop festival (12th – 21st of February) is taking place with various activities and workshops happening over the week for accompanied children ages 3-12 (see timetable below). The session cost £3 per child and you can book via Shaftesbury Arts Centre or Tourist Information Centre. Activities include a Wild Goose chase around Shaftesbury for children to hunt down a prize of a chocolate goose and the excitement of the lantern parade on the closing day of the festival.
3) Clayesmore School our offering a range of activities for children age 4 to 12, including, bush craft skills, mountain biking, hockey, football and more! See their website for more details and booking click here
4) Gillingham Climbing Wall will be open for half term workshops run by Neil Demmar. All sessions are £6 for two hours. Beginners are welcome. All equipment (apart from rock shoes) provided. Contact email@example.com for information and to book. Sessions will be Tuesday 16th 10-2pm or 2-4pm and possibly Wednesday 17th Feb subject to demand.
5) Springboard Gymnastics and Activity Centre & Caroline ‘Dancelady’ will be holding a Hoola Hooping Workshop this February half term. Each child will have an opportunity to learn stunts, tricks, and hoola hooping dance moves. Workshops taking place on Wednesday 17th February from 9.30am to 11.30am. It will cost: £6.00 per child with payment made at the time of booking Book via the office: The Springboard Team Unit 3, Woodcock Industrial Estate, Warminster Tel: 0786 333 9218
6) Belinda Dunger is running a three day sewing workshop, 15-17th of February, 10am-3pm. £75 for a three day workshop with all materials included. Learn how to use a sewing machine and make an apron and cushion.
Contact Belindadunger@hotmail.co.uk 01747822695
7) Jumparoo will be running their ‘Disco Roo Hullabaloo’ on Monday 15th of February 12-5pm. With inflatables, party games, dances and prizes. £5 per child for bouncy and disco fun. It will be taking place at Avon Valley College Sports Hall, Durrington, Wiltshire. For more info see website
8) Winchester Science Centre are running live, presenter-led stage shows with demos and audience participation from the 12th -22nd February. Live Science Shows take place within the Space Marquee and last around 25 minutes. Running every day throughout the holiday period with no additional charge after paying for General Entry to the exhibition.
Shows include ‘Destination Space Family Show’, ‘Big Science for Little People’ and Van De Graff Generator demonstrations. See website for more details.
9) Beaulieu Motor Museum is running a ‘Hands-On Half Term’ – you can handle historic motoring objects, become a medieval builder, explore ‘driving change’, take part in a ‘balloon car’ race and visit the Victorian kitchen – all included within our general admission ticket. For more details see their website. www.beaulieu.co.uk
10) For outdoor fun; Cholderton Charlie’s is running half term quizzes and crafts, Finkley Farm have pony rides, animal handling and feeding activities timetabled throughout the half term. Mottisfont Abbey have a half term trail with lots of activities to get stuck into.
Other events of Interest:
Monday 15th February:
Disco Roo Hullabaloo
Tuesday 16th February:
Snowdrop Clay workshop, 10am-12pm, Gold Hill Museum, Shaftesbury
Pottery Parlour Clay Day 10.30, 2pm
Gillingham Climbing Wall 10am, 2pm
Wednesday 17th February
Snowdrop Arts and Crafts Session, 10am-12pm, Gold Hill Museum, Shaftesbury.
Hula Hooping Workshop
Thursday 18th February
Snowdrop Lantern Workshop, 10am-12pm, Gold Hill Museum, Shaftesbury.
Pottery Parlour Clay Day 10am 2pm