It’s no secret, keeping our children entertained during the school holidays can be quite a challenge, particularly when the weather isn’t really on our side.
Having some easy, cost effective, no-hassle activities up your sleeve can be a huge saving grace when things are starting to get a little fraught and out of control!
I was given this fail-safe scone recipe a few years ago and my kids love it as much as I do. The chances are you’ll have the ingredients you need in your fridge and cupboards, and I promise it works a treat every time – believe me, if I can do this, you definitely can!
With village fairs and school sports days fast approaching, making a couple of batches of these delicious treats will ensure Brownie points all round. Depending on the time of year, we tend to use different cutters and make all manner of shaped scones – hearts at Valentines and snowmen (dusted with icing sugar!) at Christmas are always well received.
Easy Peasy School Holiday Scones
300g Self Raising Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
60g Caster Sugar
**Optional: 30g milk chocolate chips or 50g Dried Cranberries
· Rub together the margarine, flour and baking powder until it resembles breadcrumbs
· Add the sugar (and choc chips/cranberries if using) and stir with a knife
· Gradually add the milk, stir with a knife until it forms a dough
· Lightly flour your work surface, flatten out the mixture to 2 fingers high
· Use round cutters (or others you prefer) to cut out your scones
· Place on a baking tray, brush with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar
· Bake for 10-12 mins fan 200C / Gas mark 7
And it’s as simple as that. Enjoy with clotted cream and jam! The perfect British treat!