Granny’s Cheese Straws
These are to die for and once you start eating them, you won’t be able to stop.
Makes about 60 straws:
- 75g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 50g strong cheddar
- 25g freshly grated parmesan
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of salt
- Grate the cheddar cheese (ideally in the Magimix).
- Add flour and diced butter with the parmesan cheese and seasonings and process to the breadcrumb stage before adding the egg yolk and water and processing to a stiff paste.
- Turn onto a floured board, knead briefly into a flat disc and roll out thinly into a rectangle.
- Cut into strips of around 4 in.
- Bake in hot oven (200°C) for about 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Cool on a rack and keep in airtight tin.
- Serve hot or cold.